Wednesday, December 29, 2010

How it feels to eat a Balut for the first time

Yes, long title for a random post before the year 2010 ends.

So how have you guys been doing? Two more days, oh no, say a day and few more hours to go and it's officially 2011! I'm not gonna talk about year 2010 and how is sure rocked my socks but as what my title says, for now, I will be blogging about how it feels to eat a Balut for the first time.

What on earth is a balut? Wikipedia says its
a fertilized duck (or chicken) egg with a nearly-developed embryo inside that is boiled and eaten in the shell. Popularly believed to be an aphrodisiac and considered a high-protein, hearty snack, balut are mostly sold by street vendors in the regions where they are available. The Filipino and Malay word balut (balot) means "wrapped" – depending on pronunciation.

I'm not gonna make this post melodramatic because of the poor chicken-ling not being able to see the world for he or she is now inside my system (and probably has broken down in to small pieces all thanks to those awesome enzymes of mine). No, apparently am not. Sorry. =)

So, Few days ago, it was December 27 and our family went to random places to spend the night with. Okay, ignore my grammar. Anyways, yeah. After we crept the hell out of the people we went home because we kind of took over the world and ate the Balut we bought from Fuente OsmeƱa.


First thing I did was to "bang" the poor shell at the wall in the first pic. "Bang" for me translates to the way you push or shove something to the wall hard enough you'll hear a plop sound. Yez, I fail at words. It's like crushing something whateves. Seeing those cute stupid little cracks, I slowly but surely peeled them off until it looked like that picture above. See what's inside?



I tried my best to gulp it in one shot. And I did. WHAAAAAT?

I heard somewhere the liquid thing inside is nutritious (or so I thought. Who knows it could've been the poor chicken-ling's piss. OMG I AM GONNA DIE FFFFFFFFFF) loljoke. I think it's the egg whites. Buahahaha -face palm-


Lo and behold. This is how the balut looks like, fresh from the shell. The yellow thingy is the brain of the poor chicken-ling lolwtf egg yolk while the purplish one that stood out is the real chick. RIP.


Zoom In. xD And you can really see the chick's legs..
and is that an umbilical cord? *gasps* I'm a murderer.


This is last pic before I finally stuff inside my mouth ate the balut. It was chewy yes. And I kept thinking that I was just eating some pork or fried chicken because it was crunchy even if it was boiled. xD And well, it made me feel like a Filipino now. I'm glad I am finally able to eat balut in my 18th year in planet earth. And it was in the year 2010. ^^

Will I still eat one after this? Why not? If I remember it correctly, the balut is still few weeks old. So I was able to munch it down. But if the chick was a little more older, say its beak is fully grown, I'd probably think twice. xD Seeing the chick's leg was enough. I don't think I can handle beaks anymore. =)) And if you feel like eating one, it's good to eat it on the streets. Balut goes well with salt and vinegar. There's one called Balut Penoy/Pinoy too. I recommend this to those who has a fragile stomach. It's just boiled egg and the chick's still undeveloped. No embryos. ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did I make any sense? Tell me what you think about this post. ^^